Thursday, September 18, 2014

Original Expectations for Central Falls High School

             As I began my journey at Central Falls High School (CFHS), my original expectations were essentially nonexistent. I had heard several negative comments about the high school and its surrounding community, but I also briefly knew about some of the improvements that have been made there in the past couple of years. With these such conflicting sides, I was unsure about what to expect as I parked my Jeep and walked to the front doors of the building.
With this feeling of unfamiliarity with the high school’s environment, I was also overcome with enthusiasm and uneasiness. I was ready to gain experience at the high school level, especially since I tutored at an elementary school (Asa Messer Elementary School) for my FNED course. However, I was also nervous to be around high school students for the first time. I figured that observing teachers in their classrooms would help me, in all aspects, to learn about teaching effectively. I am very interested to watch the interactions between the teachers and their students, and I think that this will help me best adjust to the high school setting.
Already knowing that I would be learning at CFHS, I was primarily concerned about the SED course. I was nervous, and thus hesitant, to learn new material, methods that would guide me as a teacher. I knew that the pressure was on! I felt out of my comfort zone, and therefore I feel as though I focused more on the course rather than developing certain expectations for the school. I was similarly impressed by the innovative partnership between RIC and CFHS, and I felt privileged to be part of such an incredible program.
As I walked into the building on that first day, I saw that CFHS is similar to other public schools dispersed throughout Rhode Island—besides for the school’s very poor reputation. After looking around the school for just a little bit, it was evident that the school is dedicated to educating its students for the future and eventual higher education. Specifically, I was observant of the schoolwork and achievements that were strewn on the hallway walls. It was apparent that administrators and teachers are trying to promote a strong sense of community within their school, and I feel as though this will inspire students to make positive choices throughout their educational careers.
            Discussing my expectations on paper has made me realize that I had positive expectations about my upcoming experiences at CFHS. I was eager to begin a new journey in my educational career by interacting with the educators and students at the school. I strongly hope to leave some kind of encouraging impression on the students that I meet. In a way, I suppose that I have expected CFHS to play a significant component in finding my way as a future educator. I look forward to all of the experiences that I will share in the classrooms that I visit, and CFHS has left an inspiring lasting impression on me thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment